In March last year ABC Radio Melbourne sent several presenters down the Princes Highway to broadcast their shows live from a pop-up studio at Deakin University's Waterfront campus opposite Cunningham Pier in Geelong.
The ABC regarded the whole exercise as a great success, and so did ABC Friends Geelong. There were local Friends at every session, displaying signs, handing out leaflets and engaging in friendly banter with presenters, producers and members of the public.
The ABC Radio crew is doing it all again over the next few weeks, with a total of eleven programs to be broadcast from the area:
- Monday, Feb 27 – Sammy J: 5.30–8am
- Monday, Feb 27 – Raf Epstein: 3.30–6.30pm
- Saturday, March 4 – Matt Preston (from Avalon Airshow): 8.30am–noon
- Wednesday, March 8 – Ali Moore: 8.30–11am
- Friday, March 17 – Friday Revue: 12.30–3.30pm
- Tuesday, March 21 – The Conversation Hour: 11am–noon
- Tuesday, March 21 – Jacinta Parsons: 12.30–3.30pm
- Thursday, March 23 – Raf Epstein: 3.30–6.30pm
- Sunday, March 26: – Lisa Leong:10am–noon
- Thursday March 30 – Virginia Trioli: 8.30–11am
- Friday March 31 – Charlie Pickering: 5.30–8am
The pop-up schedule is similar to last year’s, but the ABC Friends involvement will be bigger and better.
If you live or work in or around Geelong, why not call into your favourite program to tell them what you like about Geelong and why the ABC is important to you as a local? And if you haven’t visited Geelong for a while, here is an added incentive.
ABC Friends Geelong group would also love you to join them in celebrating ABC Radio’s support for the Geelong community.
2022’s high point was the Friday Revue at the historic Palais Theatre, which included live music from Goanna. Hundreds of people came along and almost every one of them received an ABCF election flier and customised trivia quiz.
ABC Friends Geelong aim to repeat that involvement on March 17, but are also hoping to stage a special event at one of the other sessions. We don’t yet know where this year’s Friday Revue will be held and last year’s schedule changed a bit during the month, so there’s still plenty of planning to do. If you’d like to be kept informed about the plans and you’re not part of the Geelong group, keep an eye out for further updates in this newsletter or
Do you like this page?